Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Great Paper Chase

I always have the hardest time finding new and interesting kinds of found paper. I found this idea on somebody else's blog (they did it about two years ago) and I thought it was really neat. If any of you lovely ladies (and handsome men :) ) have any found paper lying around your house that you don't really mind giving away and posting over here to me, I will, in return, make you a collage with some of the paper that you send and I'll ship it back to you, keeping what is left for myself. Everybody's happy - you get a piece of my art and I get more paper to add to my collection.

I'm looking for several different types of paper - I'm not necessarily looking for rare or very valuable ephemera. I like recent stuff as well as antique looking stuff. I do ask though, if you send new things, at least make them grungy and old LOOKING - like Graphic 45, Prima, and 7 Gypsies. But here is a little list of suggestions:

receipts & invoices
advertisements from magazines, comics, etc. (I love the little ads in the back pages)
pages from books, magazines, comics, ledgers & notebooks
patterned end papers from books would be great
labels & packaging
envelopes, letters, stamps & postcards
anything with handwriting on it, particularly old-fashioned pen & ink
anything without writing on it such as notepaper, graph paper, etc.
brown paper bags
paper that is aged, yellow, spotty, stained, even torn is fine
greeting cards & gift wrap
wallpaper
sheet music
maps
flyers, forms, theatre programs, etc.

Extra great would be ephemera from different cultures - China, Japan, India, Mexico, etc. Colourful, decorated paper is nice, but not essential - some of my favourite pieces are regular white paper that has aged to varying shades of yellow & brown.

Thanks so much!!

~Jordan

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Know you from Milliande's site! I became a follower-would love for you to check out my blog at

    http://tazscorner1.blogspot.com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried staining paper with a tea and coffee wash? This sounds good, i've made you a contact over on Flickr so you can check me out and see what kind of stuff I make. I'm going to write down your list and start to gather. Happy happies.

    ReplyDelete